Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Map Roundup - 07 December

Here we go again.

Aeons & Augauries, 04 Dec:  A hex map of No Man's Land in the Great War.

Aeons & Augauries, 05 Dec: A continuation of the above--I feel bad for Paris.  (The city, not the character from mythology.)

Aeons & Augauries, 07 Dec: The geomorph train continues, this time with triangles sure to upset your mapping players.

Axe & Hammer, 05 Dec: Grendelwulf continues his series on Greyhawk with some beauties--world maps of various Greyhawks.  Really nice.

Robin D. Laws, 19 Nov: Sure, I've heard of Robin D. Laws, but I didn't know that he had a blog. I've certainly never visited it before now.  But, I'm there for five minutes, and I come across this post.  Lo-tech map that I really like.  Go figure.

Dungeons and Digressions, 06 Dec: Continuing the disection of the Caves of Chaos, ze bulette brings us the shunned cavern and minotaur caves.

Dungeons and Digressions, 07 Dec: Take some Caves of Chaos, mix them with Sketchup, and crank out a 3D view of the canyon.

A Palidin in Citadel, 06 Dec: A nice little location map--I really like its style.

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 22 Oct: I know that I've come across this blog before, but I'm not sure if I've referenced it in my map roundups before.  If not, shame on me!  I've found a wealth of mapping goodness and so I'm going to share it with you.  This post is about geography or not.  The following are in reverse chronological order:

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 23 Aug: Dungeons in America; this one in L.A.

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 20 Aug: A 'map' of the anatomy of a monster.  I really like this post, because I have often contemplated an adventure wherein the PCs are shrunken down to microscopic size and sent into a dragon, a la Fantastic Voyage.  I've drawn several sketches of dragon anatomy, but never got around to writing the actual adventure.

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 12 Aug: Fantasy maps in comics.  Nice.

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 25 Jun: Real world dungeon environments and maps.  While the maps are key here, the best thing about this post is that it shows that dungeons can be 'realistic' as an adventure setting.  I thumb my nose at all of those people who say dungeons are unrealistic!

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 20 Jun: A castle in America, and it is mapped!

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 26 May: I don't know Skartaris, but I sure like the map of it.

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 24 May: Another comic fantasy map.

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 21 May: Another American dungeon.  Not a great map, but definitely an interesting location.

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 16 May: More castleage in America.

From the Sorcerer's Skull, 02 May: A hand drawn D&D dungeon map from a long time ago.  It's always interesting to compare others' maps with my own from the early days so these types of posts are really enjoyable.

Some King's Kent, 07 Dec: A continued look at the megadungeon that made him famous.  This time it is two pits.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, the Knights & Knaves Alehouse is a handy place to hang around.  Their forums are home to many interesting discussions on all sorts of topics.  Although, if I am going to be honest, I most enjoy their Megadungeons! subforum.  These people are experts when it comes to megadungeons, both in discussion and in mapping:  Here is a map of the first level of a megadungeon.  And then glance, for instance, at this nice picture of a megadungeon map (level two of the previous).  To me, this is what 'mega' should mean when referring to a megadungeon.

So that's all for this edition.  I'm going to have to catalog all of the posts that I am linking to in these roundups, if only to ensure that I don't repeat in the future.  At the same time, I plan on going back to my earlier roundups and putting them into this format, if only to make my life easier when looking for things.

6 comments:

  1. Yes the Megadungeons forum is awesome. Also check out Wheggi's and grodog's work, among others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are at all interested in geomorphs then I humbly submit mine for you perusal: http://www.risusmonkey.com/search/label/Geomorphs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the linkage. Glad you liked the maps. I'm often on the search for good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Risus Monkey - I'll check but I thought that I had linked to you in a previous roundup. If I haven't, I certainly will.

    @Trey - You're welcome. I, too, am often searching for good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My apologies. It looks like you called my out on November 24th. Don't know how I missed that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Risus Monkey - No need to apologize. I just didn't want to NOT link to you.

    ReplyDelete